A glowing skin and a lustrous hair are valuable assets which define our personality and can get easily transformed into a fashion statement. Dry and itchy skin or a dull and limp hair on the other hand, may become quite unpleasant and distressing. The much revered cosmetics and over the counter beauty products usually come with exorbitant price tags and often fail to bring us closer to the skin and hair we crave for.
Listed down are few time tested natural remedies which are sure to work wonders whilst being easy on your wallet.
As per Ayurveda, dryness of skin is basically a manifestation of Vaata dosha which gets aggravated due to exposure to extreme climates, wrong eating habits and mental stress.
- Prepare a facemask by mixing egg yolk, rosewater, honey and almond oil. Apply this mixture on the face, neck and hands and wash it away after 15-20 minutes to restore a soft supple skin.
- Rehydrate the scaly skin by using an aloe vera based moisturizer daily, preferably after splashing coldwater on the face. Avoid using hot water for cleansing as it tends to increase dryness.
- Pamper the dry skin by massaging with any herbal oil containing essential oils (lavender, sandalwood or avocado oil) before a bath and at bedtime.
- Yet another paste comprising of bananas, papaya, honey, limejuice and milk powder can be applied on the face and later rinsed off after 10-15minutes to fight skin dryness.
- Eating a well balanced diet with increased indulgence in whole grains, fresh fruits, green vegetables and healthy fats (almonds, flaxseeds, etc) can have a profound effect on the way our skin feels and looks. Restrict alcohol, caffeine and spicy foods and drink at least 8-10 glasses of water per day. Drinking vegetable juices prepared from carrots, tomatoes and beetroot also help.
- Exercise regularly to improve blood circulation and flow of nutrients.
While genetics and environmental conditions may determine the colour, texture and length of our hair; a good diet and natural hair care solutions can surely prevent most of the hair problems like dry scalp, dull hair or premature greying. Bring back the hair’s lost shine and strength by following these home remedies.
- Massage the scalp with a warm mixture prepared from coconut oil, castor oil and lime juice. Leave it for an hour and then rinse off using a mild shampoo.
- A natural and herbal shampoo can be prepared at home by mixing together soaked ritha, shikakai pods and dried amla. This helps to retain the moisture in the hair cuticles and also impart a healthy shine.
- Honey, eggs, beer and vinegar are considered to be effective natural hair conditioners which add a healthy sheen and volume to the hair.
- The foundation of gorgeous locks often lay on what we choose to put on our plates. The vital hair nutrients include protein, calcium and iron which must be provided through natural sources or dietary supplements. Consuming vegetable juices such as spinach and tomato juice or wheat grass juice and snacking on dates and figs help to stimulate hair growth and reduce dryness.
- Furthermore, avoid harsh shampoos, hair gels, synthetic hair colours and hair dryers.
Incorporate these simple remedies in your beauty care routine, reduce the exposure to extreme environmental conditions and eat well to keep skin and hair woes at bay.