Feeling Tired? Fancy a flawless complexion? Or looking for ways to fight off bingeing tendencies?
It’s time to add the ‘cool’ dude cucumber to your summer diet. This widely cultivated vegetable is abound with unique nutrients and endless health benefits that range much beyond the popular ‘beat the heat’ attributes.
Here are the top 10 benefits of cucumbers that will surely amaze you.
1. Energy Provider– We already know that cucumbers contain as much as 95% water. Add to this, B complex vitamins, folic acid and potassium and we have the perfect formula to replenish the lost electrolytes during a strenuous workout or revive the dipping energy levels after a busy day at work.
2. Aids in Weight loss– Whenever the afternoon bingeing or midevening cravings strike, go for cucumbers as a low calorie and fiber packed snack. The long lasting carbohydrate energy will keep you satiated for hours and curb cravings for ‘not so healthy’ snacking choices. Want something more filling- try sprouted bean and cucumber salad or add cucumber slices to yogurt.
3. Lightens Complexion– Cucumbers contain skin friendly nutrients like silica, zinc, magnesium and beta carotene.
Cut a few slices of cucumber and place them on your eyes or wash your face with a mixture of fresh cucumber juice and buttermilk to experience a brighter and smoother skin. Applying a paste of cucumber and aloe is known to improve pigmentation and sunburns.
4. Cuts Cancer– A group of compounds called cucurbitacins present in cucumbers are studied to impart anti-cancer benefits. Cucumbers also contain plant lignans which offer protection against breast and prostate cancer.
5. Improves digestion– The high water content and dietary fiber in cucumber help to stimulate secretion of digestive enzymes, sooth heartburns and also prevent constipation, gastric ulcer and bloating.
6. Stabilizes Blood Sugar levels- Loading up on low glycemic foods such as cucumbers help to keep blood sugar levels in check. Studies have shown that cucumbers may contain certain compounds which help to improve insulin activity and stabilize blood sugar levels in diabetics.
7. Keeps your heart and kidneys happy– The smooth skinned green cucumbers are valuable for heart health owing to their antioxidant nutrients such as vitamin C, vitamin A, calcium, zinc and manganese. Drinking cucumber juice helps to lower the uric acid levels and keeps our kidneys in shape and happy.
8. Liver Cleanser– As natural diuretics, cucumbers work wonderfully to cleanse off the toxins and maintain better liver health. Whether you choose to bite crunchy cucumbers whole or enjoy juicing it up along with ginger and lime, remember to avoid peeling the skin off to reap the best benefits.
9. Freshens Breath– Chewing cucumber refreshes our mouth, heals sore gums and canker sores and kills the ‘bad breath’ producing bacteria.
Written by Dr.Panchali Moitra, originally published in B Positive Magazine and Apollolife.com